|Appeared in||Batman & Robin|
- "Using feminine wiles to get what you want? Trading on your looks? Read a book, sister. That passive-aggressive number went out years ago."
- ―Batgirl [src]
Barbara Wilson is the niece of Alfred Pennyworth and the vigilante known as Batgirl.
Barbara Wilson is the daughter of Margaret Wilson, who is sister the of Alfred Pennyworth. Barbara and Alfred have apparently been close throughout Barbara's entire life, particularly when Babara's mother and father died in a car accident. While Alfred lived in the states working as the Wayne Family butler, Barbara remained in England attending boarding school. However, she felt particularly disgusted at the idea of her uncle working as a servant, and upon discovering that Alfred was ill with a rare disease, flies to the states in order to 'free' him.
Upon arriving in the states, she meets Alfred's 'other family', Dick Grayson (who is immediately attracted to her, and vise-versa) and Bruce Wayne. Bruce invites Barbara to stay, during which Alfred's disease grows steadily worse. While Alfred grows closer to death, he shares with Barbara an encrypted disk, which contains all of Batman's secrets. Barbara immediately hacks the discs, and discovers that Bruce and Dick are Batman and Robin, and that Alfred planned for her future involvement.
Donning a suit designed for her by Alfred, Barbara, now under the guise of Batgirl, defeats Poison Ivy and saves Batman and Robin. Together the three of them defeats Mister Freeze, who was attempting to create a new ice-age, and gain the cure for Alfred's disease. Barbara then official joins the family.
- Margaret Wilson - Mother; deceased.
- Wilfred Pennyworth - Uncle.
- Alfred Pennyworth - Uncle.
- Bruce Wayne/Batman - Friend, partner and ally.
- Dick Grayson/Robin - Friend, partner, ally and love interest.
- Mr. Freeze - Enemy.
- Poison Ivy - Enemy.
- Bane - Enemy.
Behind the scenesEdit
To be added
- This incarnation of Barbara was Alfred Pennyworth's niece and named Barbara Wilson, rather than being James Gordon's daughter, Barbara Gordon, like in the comics. This is due to alterations in Gordon's character where his relationship with Batman is severely downplayed and purely professional.
- Alfred has two nieces who appeared in comics. The first is Valerie in Batman Sunday comics (Feb-March 1945). The second is Daphne Pennyworth, daughter of Alfred's older brother Wilfred, who first appeared in Batman #216 (Nov. 1969). Though Valerie's parents were never revealed.
- Rather than be a red-head like in the comics, Barbara is blonde. She is the second blonde-haired Batgirl. The first was Betty Kane, the first Batgirl (though called "Bat-Girl") and eventually became Flamebird.
- The Batgirl costume used in this film is later repainted and used by Dina Meyer who plays Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle for the short-lived Birds of Prey TV show.
- Although Batgirl normally wears a cowl like Batman, in this film, she only wears the cowl while riding a motor-cycle. Otherwise she uses a mask similar to Robin's.